VIDEO INTERVIEW TIPS
More and more companies are utilising technology as part of their interview assessments and so Video Interviews are being increasingly introduced as part of the assessment process. While you should not treat this as just another Skype, take time to prepare and present yourself in a professional light, as you would a face to face interview. Below are some tips:
- LOOK PROFESSIONAL – You will be on camera so dress in a smart shirt, blouse etc as you would dress to attend a face to face interview. Managers won’t be able to see yr trousers/skirt on video so don’t worry about this.
- Make sure you have no heavy jewellery or bright nail polish and that you are not sweating.
- Plse do not chew gum.
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS – Speak clearly and to the point i.e. plse don’t mumble
- Please read the questions properly and when you press record, look at the webcam and not the computer screen when you answer questions.
- Plse preview yr videos to ensure the sound has recorded. Also ask yourself, would you hire this candidate based on the response you have given?
- CONFIDENCE – The video interview concept will be new to a lot of HR managers so impress them by coming across as confident both as a person and with the technology at hand.
- SMILE – Don’t forget to smile! You’re on camera!
- TECHNICAL ISSUES – Please switch off applications you are not using especially Skype as these take a lot of bandwidth and may affect video sound quality. Only have this video interview open if possible. Try and make sure that there is also not too much background noise.
- ANSWERING QUESTIONS – Last, but not least, where ever possible when answering questions, always connect your ability/skills/experience etc to the employer’s requirements i.e. what they are looking for in the role you are applying for. This assists them in picturing you as a member of their organisation.
USEFUL LINK – Tips on Telephone interviews